Little Writers, Musicians and Artists
By 1975, there were five Half Price Books locations. A gallon of gas cost 44 cents. VCRs hit the market. Saturday Night Live premiered on NBC. Hits by Olivia Newton-John were playing on the radio and many creative types found their way to our humble bookstores. In the beginning, we were all something else, aspiring to be somebody else. Actors, artists and playwrights. Frankly, not much has changed. It’s an off-beat place to work. Meet one of our booksellers today and they’ll likely tell you they’re a musician, filmmaker, writer or designer. If you detest waste and cherish the written word, perhaps you, too, belong on our team. Visit our jobs page to learn more about joining the Half Price Books family.
Many of us started working here because it was a nice place to have a job for a while, until something else came along. But over time, we’ve settled in and made our homes here.
April: This month in history…
- 1976: Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs released the Apple I and started Apple computers.
- 1978: The TV series "Dallas" premiered on CBS.
- 1984: Theodor "Dr. Seuss" Geisel was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for his contribution over nearly half a century to the education and enjoyment of America's children and their parents.
- 1988: The Sixth Sense actor Haley Joel Osment was born in Los Angeles, CA.
- 1990: The cult series Twin Peaks premiered on ABC TV.
- 1990: The Hubble Space Telescope was deployed from the space shuttle Discovery.
- 1992: The children's show "Barney & Friends" premiered.
- 2010: Canadian teen pop/R&B singer Justin Bieber debuts at #1 on the Billboard 200.
- 2010: The iPad was first released.