A Classical Dictionary Of The Vulgar Tongue
by Francis Grose (1788)
Description: Second Edition; Corrected and Enlarged. One of the earliest and still one of the most important dictionaries of "street" language, this dictionary in the enlarged second edition also cleans up some of the more objectionable entries from the first (extremely scarce) edition. This copy has been rebound as if for a library, but bears no indi. Published by S. Hooper 1788. Good Condition. The paper has begun to become brittle; some sizeable chips missing from the first several pages (with no loss of text). Also some closed tears to text In our South Lamar store.Dimensions: Octavo (5.5 x 8.5) Spine notes: spine has minimal rubbing and bumping, gilt debossed title still very clear Item Format: Hardback
- Condition: Used - Good
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardback
- Date: 1788
- Listing Date: 10/04/2018