A History Of Children's Books In 100 Books
While the modern children's book, intended specifically for the enjoyment of children, did not emerge until 18th-century Europe, its roots span centuries and continents: children's literature began with fables, myths and folk tales from the oral tradition. A History of the Children's Book in 100 Books takes a global perspective and traces the development of the genre from ancient stories such as Aesop's Fables and the Indian Panchatantra, through the Puritan primers of the 17th century, to the fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm, to the highly collectable Ladybird books of the 20th century, and up to modern classics and bestsellers such as the Harry Potter series. Illustrations have often been key components of children's stories, visualizing fantastic scenes and making them instantly recognizable. Original artwork from iconic illustrators such as Arthur Rackham, Walter Crane and John Tenniel is beautifully reproduced throughout.
- Condition: Used - Good
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: HPB Meridian Crossroads
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Firefly Books Ltd
- ISBN-13: 9781770859579
- ISBN: 1770859578
- Publication Year: 2017