A Museum At War: Snapshots Of Life At The Natural History Museum During World War One
In autumn 1914, as Europe's military `doomsday machine' creaks into gear, the war effort at the Natural History Museum is about to spring into life. The grounds become an ad hoc military barracks, first aid units are formed and staff from across the institutions of `Albertopolis' are marshalled into the Volunteer Corps for Home Defence (Museum section). During the coming years many Government departments turn to the Museum for its scientific expertise and innovation. The knowledge held within the Museum becomes a vital repository for the military, on everything from equine anatomy to moth damage on the air balloons of the Royal Naval Air Service. In A Museum at War, historian and journalist Karolyn Shindler presents a series of compelling snapshots of life at the Museum during the Great War and demonstrates how deeply it affected the people working there. She reveals not only how the four years of war fundamentally altered all aspects of Museum life but also how the Museum itself made an important contribution to Britain's war effort.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Natural History Museum
- ISBN-13: 9780565094614
- ISBN: 0565094610
- Publication Year: 2019