A Sampling Of Remarkable Groups: Thompson's, Self Similar, Lamplighter, And Baumslag Solitar
This textbook offers students with a basic understanding of group theory a preview of several interesting groups they would not typically encounter until later in their academic careers. By presenting these advanced concepts at this stage, they will gain a deeper understanding of the subject and be motivated to explore more of it. Groups covered include Thompson's groups, self-similar groups, Lamplighter groups, and Baumslag-Solitar groups. Each chapter focuses on one of these groups, and begins by discussing why they are interesting, how they originated, and why they are important mathematically. A collection of specific references for additional reading, topics for further research, and exercises are included at the end of every chapter to encourage students' continued education. With its accessible presentation and engaging style, A Sampling of Remarkable Groups is suitable for students in upper-level undergraduate or beginning graduate abstract algebra courses. It will also be of interest to researchers in mathematics, computer science, and related fields.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Birkhauser
- ISBN-13: 9783030019761
- ISBN: 3030019764
- Publication Year: 2019