A Trace Of Deceit
A Paperback Original From the author of A Dangerous Duet comes the next book in her Victorian mystery series, this time following a daring female painter and the Scotland Yard detective who is investigating her brother's suspicious death. A young painter digs beneath the veneer of Victorian London's art world to learn the truth behind her brother's murder... Edwin is dead. That's what Inspector Matthew Hallam of Scotland Yard tells Annabel Rowe when she discovers him searching her brother's flat for clues. While the news is shocking, Annabel can't say it's wholly unexpected, given Edwin's past as a dissolute risk-taker and art forger, although he swore he'd reformed. After years spent blaming his reckless behavior for their parents' deaths, Annabel is now faced with the question of who murdered him-because Edwin's death was both violent and deliberate. A valuable French painting he'd been restoring for an auction house is missing from his studio: find the painting, find the murderer. But the owner of the artwork claims it was destroyed in a warehouse fire years ago. As a painter at the prestigious Slade School of Art and as Edwin's closest relative, Annabel makes the case that she is crucial to Matthew's investigation. But in their search for the painting, Matthew and Annabel trace a path of deceit and viciousness that reaches far beyond the elegant rooms of the auction house, into an underworld of politics, corruption, and secrets someone will kill to keep.
- Condition: Used - Good
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Trade Paperback
- Sold by: HPB St Charles
- Seller rating:
- Language: --
- Publisher: William Morrow & Company
- ISBN-13: 9780062796622
- ISBN: 0062796623
- Publication Year: 2019