An Acre Of Green Grass: English Writings Of Buddhadeva Bose
Buddhadeva Bose (1908-1974) is known to readers of Bengali as perhaps the greatest and most versatile talent in the Bengali literary sphere succeeding Tagore. Poet, playwright, novelist, short-story writer, literary critic, and essayist of great distinction, he is one of the most important literary personalities of twentieth century Bengali literature. Few realize that Buddhadeva Bose was also one of the best writers of English prose in modern Indian writing in English. An Acre of Green Grass brings together for the first time a selection of his best prose in the English language on subjects ranging from world literature, Bengali writers, and Tagore to Bengali gastronomy, Picasso, and the films of Charlie Chaplin. These wide-ranging and diverse essays are not only a delight to read, they are some of the best literary criticism written by an Indian critic in English since Independence and deserve a much wider audience than they have had so far.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Oxford Univ Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780199483600
- ISBN: 0199483604
- Publication Year: 2018