New June Tabor albums don't grow on trees (unlike the proverbial apples of the title). But, in different ways, each has proved well worth the wait, and this is no exception. Tabor has long been thought of as a merchant of unrelieved doom and gloom, and there's no denying that a number of her albums are full of shadowed material -- it's something in which she excels as a leading interpreter of traditional and contemporary songs. Yet this time out there's a lighter touch to the proceedings, thanks to Andy Cutting and his melodeon. "The Dancing," which opens the disc, shows him as a perfectly, sprightly foil for Tabor's autumnal voice. But it's still on the darker, heavier stuff that she truly excels, as with "Standing in Line" or "The Rigs of Rye." Perhaps because they're thrown into sharper relief by showing a variety of moods, her singing has rarely seemed so majestic, and she's not afraid to show it on the spare "Speak Easy." With the balance she's achieved here, Tabor has made a superb record. ~ Chris Nickson, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Topic Records
- UPC: 714822056823