Can Jane Eyre Be Happy : More Puzzles In Classic Fiction
In response to appeals from readers and reviewers to "Is Heathcliff A Murderer?", the collection of 19th-century literary anomalies, enigmas and mysteries, John Sutherland turns up more unexpected and brain-teasing aspects from the British and American canon. With bold speculation he investigates 35 literary conundrums, ranging from Daniel Defoe to James Joyce: why does Robinson Crusoe find only "one" footprint? How does Magwitch swim to shore with a great iron on his leg? What is Croy's "unspeakable offence" in "The Wings of the Dove" ? Why don't the Rochesters get a divorce? And who moved the piano in Ulysess ? These questions are answered and the author aims to return the reader with new respect to the great novels that inspire them.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Trade Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Publisher: Oxford Univ Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780192833099
- ISBN: 019283309X
- Publication Year: 1997