David Maisel: Proving Ground
An unsettling encounter with one of the most secretive of American military zones, Proving Ground is California-based photographer David Maisel's (born 1961) investigation of Dugway Proving Ground, a classified site covering nearly 800,000 acres in a remote region of Utah's Great Salt Lake Desert.From its inception during World War II to the present, Dugway's primary mission has been to develop and test chemical and biological weaponry and defense programs. After more than a decade of inquiry, Maisel was granted rare access to photograph the terrain, testing facilities and other aspects of this deliberately obscured region of the American atlas.Comprising aerial and on-site photos made at Dugway, this body of work explores questions surrounding military power, national security and land use, as well as the limits of technology and human endeavor. Maisel's engagement with Dugway challenges the capacity of photography as visual evidence.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Steidl
- ISBN-13: 9783958292888
- ISBN: 3958292887
- Publication Year: 2019