Death On The Victorian Beat: The Shocking Story Of Police Deaths
Death on the Victorian Beat is the first book dedicated solely to the murders of police officers in the Victorian era, recalling numerous cases from across the United Kingdom. Martin Baggoley highlights the resistance faced everyday by officers of all ranks, in both the great cities and in the supposedly peaceful countryside, during this important and sometimes turbulent period in our history. Many cases are unveiled by the author, including those of: Sergeant Charles Brett, murdered on the streets of Manchester by Fenians attempting to release two of their leaders from a police van; Detective Inspector Charles Thain, fatally wounded at sea by a prisoner he was escorting back from Germany; Constable William Jump lost his life during a bitter industrial dispute involving brickmakers in Ashton-under-Lyne; and Inspector Joseph Drewitt and Constable Thomas Shorter murdered in a confrontation with poachers in Hungerford, to name but a few. This book is bursting with accounts of danger and great courage urging to be read, as the author allows the lives of these gallant officers to run through the pages.
- Condition: New
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: HPB.com
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Pen & Sword
- ISBN-13: 9781526705921
- ISBN: 1526705923
- Publication Year: 2018