This 1999 CD reissue brings back an earlier LP (simply titled Vic Dickenson Quintet), adding three previously unheard alternate takes to the original eight-song program. A sideman during most of his career, the great trombonist Dickenson had several opportunities to record as a leader during 1974-76. Dickenson, tenor-saxophonist Buddy Tate (who plays baritone on "Penthouse Serenade"), pianist Red Richards, bassist George Duvivier and drummer Oliver Jackson perform seven standards (which include such offbeat choices as "Isle of Golden Dreams," "Black Bottom" and "Five O'Clock Whistle") plus Vic's "Ding Dong." Dickenson's sly wit is very much in evidence on this strong set, the trombone/tenor blend is quite appealing and the date is easily recommended to small group swing collectors. ~ Scott Yanow, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Storyville
- UPC: 717101822928