The Essential Nina Simone
Nina Simone could sing anything and make it work, and her unique mixture of passion, empowerment, liberation, and love continues to make her recorded work speak powerfully a decade or more into the 21st century. This two-disc, 29-track set collects essential sides from her entire career, including tracks done for the Colpix, Philips, RCA, CTI, and Elektra labels between 1959 and 1993. Simone was a master of nuance and phrasing, and songs collected here like 1959's "I Loves You, Porgy" and "Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair," 1960's "Trouble in Mind," 1964's "See-Line Woman," her version of Screamin' Jay Hawkins' "I Put a Spell on You" from 1965, 1967's saucy "I Want a Little Sugar in My Bowl," and the late-career "A Single Woman" from 1993 all give testament to this gifted and unique artist's vision, style, and elegance. It's a very impressive legacy. ~ Steve Leggett, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Legacy
- UPC: 886977867026