First Supplement To James E. Walsh's Catalogue Of The Fifteenth Century Printed Books In The Harvard University Library
In 1994, the late James E. Walsh reported that the Harvard collection of fifteenth-century printed books, the third largest in North America, "comprises 3,517 editions in 4,187 copies." Ten years later the count has risen to 3,627 editions in 4,389 copies. Walsh's pioneering catalogue was published in five volumes between 1991 and 1997. This supplement describes 202 new incunabula at Harvard: 67 complete or nearly complete copies and 135 single leaves or fragments, representing a total of 173 editions, including 110 not in Walsh's original five volumes. The initial section of the First Supplement consists of selected additions and corrections to the Walsh catalogue. The following section, "New Entries," details single leaves and fragments which were previously given only highly selective coverage. The supplement concludes with cumulative references, indices, and concordances. The apparatus follows the Walsh model, and the book is designed to be used both on its own and in conjunction with the five original volumes.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Houghton Library of the Harvard
- ISBN-13: 9780674021457
- ISBN: 0674021452
- Publication Year: 2006
- Edition: 1 SUP