First Supplement To James E. Walsh's Catalogue Of The Fifteenth Century Printed Books In The Harvard University Library
In 1994, the late James E. Walsh reported that the Harvard collection of fifteenth-century printed books, the third largest in North America, "comprises 3,517 editions in 4,187 copies." Ten years later the count has risen to 3,627 editions in 4,389 copies. Walsh's pioneering catalogue was published in five volumes between 1991 and 1997. This supplement describes 202 new incunabula at Harvard: 67 complete or nearly complete copies and 135 single leaves or fragments, representing a total of 173 editions, including 110 not in Walsh's original five volumes. The initial section of the First Supplement consists of selected additions and corrections to the Walsh catalogue. The following section, "New Entries," details single leaves and fragments which were previously given only highly selective coverage. The supplement concludes with cumulative references, indices, and concordances. The apparatus follows the Walsh model, and the book is designed to be used both on its own and in conjunction with the five original volumes.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Houghton Library of the Harvard
- ISBN-13: 9780674021457
- ISBN: 0674021452
- Publication Year: 2006
- Edition: 1 SUP