Gentle Duke: The Ellington Soloists Play Duke
Much like Fantasy's contemporaneous Jazz Giants series in concept but under different auspices, a brace of former Ellington sidemen are heard interpreting a dozen of Duke's standards. The time frame of the recordings has shrunk to only a six-year period, and oddly, some of the leaders here were not Ellington alumni (their featured sidemen were). But as if to compensate, half of the tracks are making their CD debuts (a much higher percentage than the Jazz Giants series thus far), often originating from two of Prestige's more obscure holdings, the Moodsville and Swingville labels. Bud Freeman, Clark Terry, Taft Jordan, Ben Webster (with Joe Zawinul), Jimmy Forrest (with Oliver Nelson's big band), Betty Roche, Cootie Williams, Bill Harris and Buddy Tate are the leaders, with a Swingville All-Stars jam on "Things Ain't What They Used to Be" as a closer. Among one listener's choice cuts, Webster is eloquence personified on "Come Sunday" (an alternate take yet!) and as a counterpoint to Harris on "In a Mellotone." ~ Richard S. Ginell, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Prestige
- UPC: 025218519526