Groovin' High [Denon]
This 1992 CD reissue from Japanese Denon is certainly filled with classic music, but this is a so-so, lightweight reissue (a reproduction of a '50s LP but obviously in a smaller size), because there are only 13 selections (an LP's worth of material), the liner notes are dated and breezy, and the complete sessions are not included The great trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie plays "Blue 'N' Boogie" with a sextet in 1945 including Dexter Gordon; he teams up with Charlie Parker for five early bop gems ("Groovin' High," "Dizzy Atmosphere," "All the Things You Are," "Salt Peanuts" and "Hot House"); he plays two numbers with Sonny Stitt in a combo; and he also performs five songs (including "Things to Come") with his 1946 big band. One way or another, get this important music, but only pick up this particular CD if found at a budget price. ~ Scott Yanow, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Savoy Jazz (USA)
- UPC: 081757015226