See her? / Steadfast and firm her / branches graze the mantle of quiet clouds / as she elaborates her claim Haunted by indifference toward systemic violences and the disregard endured by those people labelled as "problems," nancy viva davis halifax's poems articulate the constraints of discredited lives. Conveying her experiences witnessing homelessness, poverty, disability, and chronic illness on the streets and within women's emergency shelters, davis halifax orients readers to recognize ongoing suffering in our society. One poem, a purl of four words, reminds the reader that language entangles and unbinds lives, and that life is an unfastening, a knitting by which some are lost and others made separable. These are unregulated poems, poems that refuse indifference and reassert mutuality. They are not an argument, they are not assured, not facts, not a problem, not a resource, but an opening.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: McGill Queens Univ
- ISBN-13: 9780773545809
- ISBN: 0773545808
- Publication Year: 2015