The blue dye indigo has been the world's most important dyestuff for almost 5000 years. This book examines, at local and international level, all aspects of the subject - historical, agricultural, and botanical; chemical and technological commercial and economic; indigo's various uses in textiles and its many sociological, medicinal, folkloric, and other connotations. It pays particular attention to indigo's history as a trade commodity, including its commercial exploitation by the European colonial powers. The author examines the different plant sources and compares production and dyeing methods used in different cultures. The various patterning techniques used with indigo on a wide range of textiles are described, as are some uses of the dyestuff in traditional medicine and religious practices. The book also looks at the modern application of indigo, not least its continuing sartorial appeal, particularly in ever-popular blue denim, and its use by textile arts and craftsmen.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Fitzroy Dearborn Pub
- ISBN-13: 9781579583064
- ISBN: 1579583067
- Publication Year: 2000