It's Tough To Be Famous
Directed by Alfred E. Green, Starring Alfred E. Green, Louise Beavers, Lilian Bond, Mary Brian, Walter Catlett, Berton Churchill, Emma Dunn, David Landau, Ivan Linow, Claire McDowell, Harold Minjir, J. Carrol Naish, Terrance Ray, Oscar Apfel, Douglas FairbanksWritten by Alfred E. Green, Louise Beavers, Lilian Bond, Mary Brian, Walter Catlett, Berton Churchill, Emma Dunn, David Landau, Ivan Linow, Claire McDowell, Harold Minjir, J. Carrol Naish, Terrance Ray, Oscar Apfel, Douglas Fairbanks
Undoubtedly inspired by Charles Lindbergh's unprecedented sudden fame (but not the ensuing tragedy), Mary McCall's 1932 novel The Goldfish Bowl was turned into a satirical comedy-drama featuring an engaging Douglas Fairbanks Jr. as a navy captain thrust into the limelight after saving his crew during a submarine disaster. With an unsolicited "personal manager" (played to the hilt by Walter Catlett) and a greedy corporation taking care of both ticker tape parades and all kinds of silly public relations stunts, Fairbanks discovers that he no longer has control of his life. He is constantly embarrassed by a novelty song, "Scotty Boy" (vigorously performed by Broadway crooner Clarence Nordstrom), and even wedded bliss to the understanding Mary Brian is turned into a public spectacle. Fortunately, a Danish sailor (Ivan Linow) saves a dog from drowning and instantly takes Fairbanks' place in the public awareness. Afraid of becoming celebrities once again after saving a car from being wrecked by an express train, the reluctant hero and his bride drive away as fast as they can, happy to begin a new, anonymous life in teeming New York City. Hans J. Wollstein, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: This movie is unopened and brand new.
- Fine/Like New (EX): Near new. No defects, little sign of use. Plays perfectly. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. No skipping; no fuzzy or snowy frames in VHS.
- Very Good (VG): Attractive and well cared for but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, but will play almost perfectly. For VHS: barely detectable distortion or very few fuzzy or snowy frames.
- Good (G): This item is in okay condition and basically works well. There may be some minor distortion on VHS tape; slight scratching or wear on DVD.
- Fair (FR): Basically plays, but may be obviously well-worn with some scratching or tape distortion.
- Poor (P): Disc or tape is intact, but may be scratched or stretched. There may be skips or distortion or product defects.
- Format: DVD
- Sold by: --
- Publisher: Warner Bros. Digital Dist
- UPC: 883316679272
- Region: Region 0