Lactilla Tends Her Fav'rite Cow: Ecocritical Readings Of Animals And Women In Eighteenth Century British Labouring Class Women's Poetry
Lactilla Tends her Fav'rite Cow brings together issues of gender, class, and species through a study of a selection of poetry by five eighteenth-century British laboring-class women poets: Mary Collier, Mary Leapor, Elizabeth Hands, Ann Yearsley and Janet Little. Extending the feminist concept of "interlocking oppressions" to include a consideration of the link between women and animals, this study suggests, ecocritically, that representations of nature are always more than mere imagination. By pairing laboring-class women poets and domesticated animals to read their representations as manifestations of oppression, Milne shows that both laboring-class women and animals are contained by conceptualizations and/or domesticating strategies that typically characterize them as laboring machines, as "mad," and as pets. Lactilla Tends her Fav'rite Cow benefits from the foundations set by earlier studies of laboring-class writers even as it extends their conclusions through the use of an explicitly ecocritical perspective.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Bucknell Univ Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780838756928
- ISBN: 0838756921
- Publication Year: 2008