Masters Of Jazz, Vol. 5: Female Vocal Classics
Seventeen different female jazz singers are heard on 18 numbers (Ella Fitzgerald appears twice) on this worthwhile sampler. Many of the performances were quite popular and there are strong examples of the talents of Lena Horne ("Stormy Weather"), Mildred Bailey ("Rockin' Chair"), Billie Holiday, Anita O'Day ("Let Me Off Uptown"), Ella, Sarah Vaughan ("If You Could See Me Now"), Betty Roche ("Take The 'A' Train" with Duke Ellington), Annie Ross ("Twisted"), Peggy Lee, June Christy, Jeri Southern, Chris Connor, Gloria Lynne, Nancy Wilson, Etta Jones ("Don't Go To Strangers"), Nina Simone and Betty Carter. Worth picking up by listeners new to jazz who do not already own these classics. ~ Scott Yanow, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Rhino (Label)
- UPC: 081227247225