These are novels of the adventures of teenage Joe Bass growing up along the Delaware Bay. Exciting action is balanced with full-bodied characterization. The stories have a great deal of practical mechanics in them: mechanics of moving houses on land and water, hauling and unloading logs, starting an old airplane, keeping old trucks and tractors running, salvaging old boats, making lumber, and general upkeep of practically everything. And there is humor, teenage insights into adult reactions, and social commentary. The series is presented from Joe's perspective, and his outgoing personality includes a genial humor and a perception that accepts reality and eagerly embraces the opportunities that come his way. The series is marked by a number of productive relationships between Joe and men well beyond retirement age. Mosquito Point is a story that develops when Joe takes a small job helping an arthritic old boat builder replace some rotten boards in his house. The two begin to build a boat together, then Joe gets involved in trying to find out what happened to the old man's daughter many years ago. She was an early environmentalist and raised a lot of questions about the spraying of DDT around the bay. She was a strong swimmer but was found drowned. There was foul play involved; Joe is very surprised by the developments.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Royal Fireworks Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780880923187
- ISBN: 0880923180
- Publication Year: 1996