Brave Boys: New England Traditions In Folk Music
Before you jump to the conclusion that this is going to be a collection of sea shanties or whaling songs, take a look at the track listing on the back cover and notice two things: first, song titles like "Who Will Bow and Bend Like a Willow?" and "Ladies' Walpole Reel," and second, the fact that most of these tracks are songs performed solo by unaccompanied singers. Most were recorded in the field by Sandy Paton (well known to fans of New England folk music as the owner and operator of the Folk Legacy label, which released all of Gordon Bok's earliest albums). The traditions represented are remarkably varied and range from transplanted British ballads ("A Frog He Would a-Wooing Go," "The Two Brothers") to Shaker spirituals ("And Now, Old Serpent, How Do You Feel?") and traditional fiddle tunes (the gorgeous "Ladies' Walpole Reel," "Cherish the Ladies"). And, of course, there are whaling songs, grim and beautiful, and no less so for the enthusiastic amateurism of the singers. Highly recommended. ~ Rick Anderson, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: New World Records
- UPC: 093228023920