New Novel, New Wave, New Politics: Fiction And The Representation Of History In Postwar France
Until now, writings on the celebrated movements in literature and film that emerged in France in the mid-1950s the New Novel and New Wave have concentrated on their formal innovations, not on their engagement with history or politics. New Novel, New Wave, New Politics overturns this traditional approach. Lynn A. Higgins argues that the New Novelists (e.g., Alain Robbe-Grillet, Claude Simon, Marguerite Duras) and New Wave filmmakers (e.g., Francois Truffaut, Jean-Luc Godard, Alain Resnais) engage in a kind of historiography. . . . They enact the conflicts, the double binds of postwar history and representation. Higgins claims that what art historian Serge Guilbaut has said of American Abstract Expressionism is equally true of the New Novel and New Wave that its aesthetic innovations provided a way for avant-garde artists to preserve their sense of social commitment . . . while eschewing the art of propaganda and illustration. It was in a sense a political apoliticism. This lively account dramatically revises our view of a generation of important, influential artists.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Univ of Nebraska Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780803273092
- ISBN: 0803273096
- Publication Year: 1998
- Edition: Reprint