Nina: The Essential Nina Simone
While there's some good music on this 73-minute CD, it's a patchy quilt of songs from the 1950s to the 1980s, reaching as far back as late-'50s sessions from early in her career, and stretching through several subsequent decades, including two songs from a 1985 album and seven songs from her In Concert album thrown in along the way. That's not, incidentally, her 1964 Philips In Concert album, but an identically titled release that's obviously from much later, since there are references to Michael Jackson and Ronald Reagan inserted into one of the songs. Other than those pair of 1985 tracks, the music is good, and sometimes superb, as on her version of "Mood Indigo." However, there are better anthologies out there. Although there are liner notes by noted author Lucy O'Brien, little is supplied in the way of specific dates and original release information. ~ Richie Unterberger, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Metro
- UPC: 698458101020