O Rex Gentium: Choral Octavo
O Rex Gentium sets the Magnificat antiphon for December 22 - one of the great 'O' antiphons traditionally sung at Vespers in the week before Christmas. These texts are all invocations of the coming of Christ, each one offering praise to him using titles taken from the prophet Isaiah. This piece was commissioned in 2011 to form part of a complete set of the seven O Antiphons for the Merton College Choirbook. It is conceived in grand and declamatory style, owing a respectful debt to the great motets of Bruckner. Formed in A-B-A structure, it uses block harmony in the outer sections for impact, whilst the central part employs some more reflective and linear writing. A brief coda suggests an atmosphere of wonder and mystery at the prospect of Christ's birth.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Faber & Faber
- ISBN-13: 9780571537259
- ISBN: 0571537251
- Publication Year: 2013