On Being A Christian In The Academy: Nicholas Wolterstorff And The Practice Of Christian Scholarship
A critical appraisal of Nicholas Wolterstorff's account of faith and knowledge in the light of the philosophy of science, and an application of his thought to the practice of Christian scholarship. Andrew Sloane expounds Christian philosopher Nicholas Wolterstorff's account of rationality and his understanding of the devising and weighing of theories. Wolterstorff steers a course between the modernist idea of the neutrality and universal power of reason, on the one hand, and the relativism of some postmodern philosophy, on the other. He presents a defensible person-specific but non-relativist criterion of theory choice. The role of control beliefs in scholarship and the place of Christian beliefs in the practice of Christian scholarship are also explored. The book concludes by exploring the implications of these findings for theological scholarship, in particular Old Testament exegesis. The author suggests that Wolterstorff's notion of scholarly practice explains the practice of scholarship and is to be commended to Christian scholars as a cogent and challenging method of devising and appraising theories.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Authentic Media
- ISBN-13: 9781842270585
- ISBN: 1842270583
- Publication Year: 2004