On Duty Pacific On Duty In The Pacific Northwest During The Civil War: Correspondence And Reminiscences Of The First Oregon Cavalry Regiment
"During the Civil War, Union soldiers in the Far West frontier faced a dilemma. They were cut off from the main theaters of war, often thought of as shirking their duties, yet they faced unique challenges that their more conventional comrades in arms didnot experience. Oregon and California often sheltered Copperheads and Confederate deserters; their foes sometimes included Native Americans; the territories they guarded were poorly defined and sometimes lawless. This is the first primary document collection of soldiers serving in the Pacific Northwest. It consists of letters, most often written anonymously to local newspapers, a series of longer reminiscences by officers in the First Oregon, and some more fragmentary memoirs of officers and soldiers."--Provided by publisher.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Univ of Tennessee Pr
- ISBN-13: 9781621903673
- ISBN: 1621903672
- Publication Year: 2018