Prophecy And Eschatology In The Transatlantic World 1550 1800
Prophecy and millennialspeculation are often seen as having played a key role in early Europeanengagements with the new world, from Columbus's use of the predictions ofJoachim of Fiore, to the puritan Errand into the Wilderness . Yet examinationsof such ideas have sometimes presumed an overly simplistic application of thesebeliefs in the lives of those who held to them. This book explores the way inwhich prophecy and eschatological ideas influenced poets, politicians,theologians, and ordinary people in the Atlantic world from the sixteenth tothe late eighteenth century. Chapters cover topics ranging from messianicclaimants to the Portuguese crown to popular prophetic almanacs ineighteenth-century New England; from eschatological ideas in the poetry ofGeorge Herbert and Anne Bradstreet, to the prophetic speculation surroundingthe Evangelical revivals. It highlights the ways in which prophecy andeschatology played a key role in the early modern Atlantic world.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- ISBN-13: 9781349705146
- ISBN: 1349705144
- Publication Year: 2018
- Edition: Reprint