Reading The West: An Anthology Of Dime Westerns
This exciting collection makes 4 previously hard-to-find dime Westerns easily available to readers who wish to enrich their understanding of nineteenth-century American literature. These varied novels provide a new and important context for examining classic, widely taught authors and tell us much about nineteenth-century attitudes towards race and gender. The anthology includes: Malaeska; The Indian Wife of the White Hunter, by Ann S. Stephens (1860) Seth Jones; or The Captives of the Frontier, by Edward S. Ellis (1860) Deadwood Dick, The Prince of the Road, by Edward J. Wheeler (1877) Frank Reade, The Inventor, Chasing the James Boys With His Steam Team, Anonymous (1890) With an introduction that critically examines the historical and cultural background of the dime Western, a chronology of relevant background information on historical figures and events, headnotes to the novels, glosses of unfamiliar terms and references, 27 illustrations, and a selected bibliography, this edition makes frequently overlooked dime Westerns readily accessible for serious study, particularly in courses that emphasize a new historicist or cultural studies approach.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Macmillan Higher Education
- ISBN-13: 9780312137618
- ISBN: 0312137613
- Publication Year: 2000