Rural Urban Migration And Policy Intervention In China: Migrant Workers' Coping Strategies
This book examines rural-urban migration policies in China, and considers how Chinese workers cope with migration events in the context of these policies. It explores the contribution of migrant workers to the Chinese economy, the impact of changes within the `hukou' system (household registration) and the impact of recent migration policies promoting rural-urban migration and targeting key events during migrant workers' migration trajectories - job-seeking, wage exploitation, work injuries and illness - namely the corresponding `Skills Training Program for Migrant Workers', the `Circular on Managing Wage Payment to Migrant Workers', the `Circular on Migrant Workers Participating in Work-Related Injury Insurance', and the `New Rural Medical Cooperative Scheme' (Health Insurance). Through in-depth interviews, it examines how when facing such challenges, migrant workers choose to either make a claim under existing policies, or use other coping strategies. The book notably proposes a typology of "coping" which includes a variety of administrative coping, political coping and social coping, and considers how workers in China harness the power of civil groups and social networks.
- Condition: New
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: HPB.com
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- ISBN-13: 9789811080920
- ISBN: 9811080925
- Publication Year: 2018