The term sal?n in the title of this release is more than just an evocative concept; the music included is, for the most part, of the genre known as salon music (or, for one derogatory writer, "potted-palm music"). Salon music flourished in many countries and gave rise to a largely neglected Latin American repertory of whose rediscovery this album by Mexican pianist Jorge Federico Osorio is part. It was music for use in middle-class homes, modest in technical demands and rooted in the dances and genre pieces of the 19th century, the waltz above all. Most of this release is devoted to three composers: Manuel Ponce, the only famous one of the group, who composed in an extended salon-type language in the first half of the 20th century. He is joined by two of his immediate predecessors, Ricardo Castro (whose name is hilariously butchered in the CD booklet) and Felipe Villanueva. The language of both adds a bit of popular-inspired Mexican flair to the well-worn European waltz and mazurka. Osorio wisely...
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Cedille Records
- UPC: 735131913225