Science Interrogating Belief: Bridging The Old And New Traditions Of Medicine In Africa
Traditional African medicine (TAM) is an ancient healing art. In this wide-ranging study the author presents an interpretation of the beliefs that constitute the theoretical framework for TAM practices, and concludes that the beliefs share many characteristics with modern medical theory, but there are significant differences from the latter which reflect the African experience. Fever, malaria and plant remedies, have one common denominator i.e., the biological phenomenon known as inflammation. This is the backbone of the hypothesis put forward in the second half of the book: In traditional African societies malaria was successfully cured with plant remedies which suppressed malaria-induced inflammation; because the people had significant immunity against the disease, the causative plasmodium parasite was eliminated by the host's body. How indigenous plant remedies can now be used to minimize malaria drug resistance is outlined, and an Africa-centered approach to malaria control-which takes into account the African's intrinsic protective immunity and his extensive knowledge of anti-fever plant remedies, is advocated. Science Interrogating Belief is essentially an outline of the basic principles of TAM. It points to ways in which the modern and ancient traditions of medicine can come together for the benefit of mankind.
- Condition: New
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: HPB.com
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Book Builders
- ISBN-13: 9789789210886
- ISBN: 9789210884
- Publication Year: 2011