Sharing Cultures With Ella Jenkins
Ella Jenkins does what she does very well, and this record, aimed at kids between the ages of three and eight, is a joy. However, the title is only partly true. It's probably more about language than culture, be it the Spanish of "Ya Se Van los Pastores" or the patois of "Day-O." It's really the songs in English that explore cultures somewhat, from the Irish sensibilities of "I Lived in Ireland" to "North American Tribes" or the African-American areas of "Walking Around in Bronzeville" and a pair of blues numbers. That said, it's a lot of fun (even if the violin version of "Yellow Bird" ends up sounding like the Portsmouth Sinfonia), and for younger children it's something of an adventure. Jenkins is a strong communicator, able to engage young minds (without ever talking down to them) and involving them, even on disc. Her first all-new record in four years, and well worth the wait. ~ Chris Nickson, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways Recordings
- UPC: 093074505823