Smashing The Rackets
Directed by Lew Landers, Starring Lew Landers, Eddie Acuff, Bruce Cabot, Edith Craig, Don Douglas, Paul Fix, George Irving, Rita Johnson, George Lloyd, Frances Mercer, Walter Miller, Chester Morris, Edward Pawley, Kay Sutton, Frank M. Thomas, Theodore von Eltz, Ben Welden, Frank O'Connor, Joseph DeStefaniWritten by Lew Landers, Eddie Acuff, Bruce Cabot, Edith Craig, Don Douglas, Paul Fix, George Irving, Rita Johnson, George Lloyd, Frances Mercer, Walter Miller, Chester Morris, Edward Pawley, Kay Sutton, Frank M. Thomas, Theodore von Eltz, Ben Welden, Frank O'Connor, Joseph DeStefani
"Ripped from today's headlines", RKO Radio's Smashing the Rackets was inspired by the career of colorful New York district attorney Thomas E. Dewey. Chester Morris plays the Dewey character, here rechristened Jim Conway. Starting out as a G-Man, Conway is appointed special prosecutor of a conveniently unnamed state, whereupon he declares war on such gangster types as Bruce Cabot and Ben Welden. But while the real Dewey ascended to the governor's chair, Jim Conway settles for a private law practice once his job is done. The talented but underused Frances Mercer provides the film's romantic interest. Smashing the Rackets was the first of several "exploitation" pictures produced by RKO's B-picture maven Lee Marcus; the next on the docket was Tarnished Angel, an "a clef" retelling of the Aimee Semple McPherson story. Hal Erickson, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: This movie is unopened and brand new.
- Fine/Like New (EX): Near new. No defects, little sign of use. Plays perfectly. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. No skipping; no fuzzy or snowy frames in VHS.
- Very Good (VG): Attractive and well cared for but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, but will play almost perfectly. For VHS: barely detectable distortion or very few fuzzy or snowy frames.
- Good (G): This item is in okay condition and basically works well. There may be some minor distortion on VHS tape; slight scratching or wear on DVD.
- Fair (FR): Basically plays, but may be obviously well-worn with some scratching or tape distortion.
- Poor (P): Disc or tape is intact, but may be scratched or stretched. There may be skips or distortion or product defects.
- Format: DVD
- Sold by: --
- Publisher: Warner Bros. Digital Dist
- UPC: 883316478844
- Region: Region 0