Soccer Vs. The State: Tackling Football And Radical Politics
The global image of the multi-billion dollar soccer industry is one of professionalism and commercialization. Yet the game retains a rebellious side, maybe more so than any other sport co-opted by money-makers and corrupt politicians. From its roots in working-class England to political protests by players and fans, and a current radical soccer underground, the notion of football as the "people's game" has been kept alive. This book not only traces this history, but also reflects on common criticisms: that soccer ferments nationalism, serves right-wing powers, and fosters competitiveness. Soccer vs. the State serves both as an orientation for the politically conscious football supporter and an inspiration for those who wish to return the game played on televisions and in stadiums to alleyways and muddy pastures.This second edition has been expanded to cover events of recent years, including the involvement of soccer fans in the Middle Eastern uprisings of 2011-2013, the FIFA scandal of 2015, and the 2017 strike by the Danish women's team.
- Condition: New
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: HPB.com
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Pm Pr
- ISBN-13: 9781629635729
- ISBN: 1629635723
- Publication Year: 2019
- Edition: 2