South Windsor owes its location to the Connecticut River, whose periodic floods created fertile lowlands that nourished livestock and crops. Tobacco became a mainstay of South Windsor's agricultural life in the early to mid-19th century, as it did throughout the Connecticut River valley. To this day, tobacco sheds dot the town, and farmers still grow broadleaf for use in cigars. Small industry also flourished here during the 18th and 19th centuries, with mills on the Scantic and Podunk Rivers, tributaries of the Connecticut. Well into the 20th century, South Windsor's children still attended some of the one- and two-room schoolhouses around town until the post-World War II baby boom and influx of new residents necessitated new buildings. South Windsor guides the reader through the history of Wapping, Main Street, and more.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Arcadia Pub
- ISBN-13: 9781467125239
- ISBN: 1467125237
- Publication Year: 2017