Taken For Pearls: New Poems
Taken for Pearls is the vibrant and various new collection of poems by Tony Curtis. Included are beautiful elegies for relatives and colleagues, as well as fascinating persona poems where characters from history reveal themselves to the reader. Also featured are fine occasional lyrics inspired by domestic incidents, as well as a series of love poems translated from the dialect of the Iraqi Marsh Arabs. Throughout, the clarity and precision of the author's style allows his subjects to shine through. Poems that meditate on the darker moments of history, such as the 1993 Dylan Thomas Prize-winner 'Incident on a Hospital Train from Calcutta, 1944' are counterbalanced by the humour of 'The Captain's Diary' a long poem in the voice of an Edwardian golf club captain.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Seren Books/Poetry Wales Pr Ltd
- ISBN-13: 9781854110879
- ISBN: 185411087X
- Publication Year: 1994