The Apple That Astonished Paris
In 1988 the University of Arkansas Press published Billy Collins's The Apple That Astonished Paris, his first real book of poems, as he describes it in a new, delightful preface written expressly for this new printing to help celebrate both the Press's twenty-fifth anniversary and this book, one of the Press's all-time best sellers. In his usual witty and dry style, Collins writes, I gathered together what I considered my best poems and threw them in the mail. After what seemed like a very long time Press director Miller Williams, a poet as well, returned the poems to him in the familiar self-addressed, stamped envelope. He told Collins that there was good work here but that there was work to be done before he'd have a real collection he and the Press could be proud of: Williams's words were more encouragement than I had ever gotten before and more than enough to inspire me to begin taking my writing more seriously than I had before. This collection includes some of Collins's most anthologized poems, including Introduction to Poetry, Another Reason Why I Don t Keep a Gun in the House, and Advice to Writers. Its success over the years is testament to Collins's talent as one of our best poets, and as he writes in the preface, this new edition . . . is a credit to the sustained vibrancy of the University of Arkansas Press and, I suspect, to the abiding spirit of its former director, my first editorial father.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Univ of Arkansas Pr
- ISBN-13: 9781557288233
- ISBN: 1557288232
- Publication Year: 2006
- Edition: 1