The Dream And The Reality
Brooks Adams, the grandson of John Quincy Adams and the great-grandson of John Adams, was an independent scholar who evidenced a profound knowledge and understanding of history. This work is a monument of his erudition and scholarship. Perhaps only a native son of Massachusetts of his historical standing could have written such an incisive and critical account of the history of Massachusetts theocracy. Adams demonstrated intellectual courage and independence in directly challenging the received wisdom of Massachusetts-based historians from the seventeenth to the twentieth centuries. This work, published a century ago, also demolishes several popular myths still extant today regarding the status of religious freedom in Massachusetts history. Adams's analysis of theocratic ideology, law, and government from the time of Moses to the twentieth century is also a masterpiece of interpretation
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Createspace Independent Pub
- ISBN-13: 9781517460990
- ISBN: 1517460999
- Publication Year: 2015