The End Of The World In Medieval Thought And Spirituality
This essay collection studies the Apocalypse and the end of the world, as these themes occupied the minds of biblical scholars, theologians, and ordinary people in Antiquity, the Middle Ages, and Early Modernity. It opens with an innovative series of studies on "Gendering the Apocalypse," devoted to the texts and contexts of the apocalyptic through the lens of gender. A second section of essays studies the more traditional problem of "Apocalyptic Theory and Exegesis," with a focus on authors such as Augustine of Hippo and Joachim of Fiore. A final series of essays extends the thematic scope to "The Eschaton in Political, Liturgical, and Literary Contexts." In these essays, scholars of history, theology, and literature create a dialogue that considers how fear of the end of the world, among the most pervasive emotions in human experience, underlies a great part of Western cultural production.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- ISBN-13: 9783030149642
- ISBN: 3030149641
- Publication Year: 2019