The Essential Paul Laffoley: Works From The Boston Visionary Cell
Paul Laffoley is a Visionary artist who lives and works in a tiny space in Boston he calls ?the Boston Visionary Cell. A trained architect, Laffoley produces brilliantly colored mandala paintings filled with symbols and texts. Each painting is accompanied by a tex called a ?thought-form, which serves as commentary on the painting's content. The paintings?many of them large (73 x 73 inches)--have titles that range from the paranormal and arcane ( The Ectoplasmic Man, ?The Sexuality of Robots ) to the erudite: ?De Rerum Natura, referring to the poet Lucretius. Laffoley is interested in ?the mechanics of mysticism, time and space, dreams, magic, and consciousness. In addition to painting, he has also designed a time machine and a prayer gun. This book collects what Laffoley and his gallerist, Douglas Walla, see as ?the essential works --94 color plates w/91 attendant thought-forms. It also includes an introduction by Walla, a biography of Laffoley by artist Steven Moskowitz, and essays by two scholars. Linda Dalrymple Henderson (University of Texas at Austin, Art History) is a renowned expert on Henri Bergson, Duchamp, the art/science juncture, and ?the fourth dimension. Arielle Saiber (associate professor of Italian, Bowdoin College) analyzes one Laffoley's major works: Dante's ?Divine Comedy Triptych.
- Condition: Used - Good
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: HPB West Madison
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Univ of Chicago Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780226315416
- ISBN: 022631541X
- Publication Year: 2016