The House Of Mirth
HarperCollins is proud to present its incredible range of best-loved, essential classics. `Do you remember what you said to me once? That you could help me only by loving me? Well-you did love me for a moment; and it helped me. It has always helped me.' Lily Bart, an attractive young woman living in New York City, relies on beauty and charm to ensure economic survival. Determined to marry into wealth to support her expensive lifestyle, Lily denies her feelings for Lawrence Stern due to his modest income. She turns instead towards young millionaire, Percy Grace. During her pursuit of money and status, Lily becomes the agent of her own undoing. Events take a tragic turn and her reputation is ruined by scandal. She is unwilling to adhere to the standards of New York's social elitism, which leads to devastating consequences. Wharton's stunning and disturbing commentary on the role of women in this irresponsible, hedonistic society will delight those enchanted by her Pulitzer Prize-winning novel `The Age of Innocence'.
- Condition: Used - Good
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Trade Paperback
- Sold by: HPB Penn Park
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
- ISBN-13: 9780008110581
- Edition: UK