The Leisure Of An Egyptian Official
"The book is a reflection of the society it describes, and of the period in which it was written. All societies need to justify themselves, and it is hard to think of any possible way of justifying British imperial society without some racial content. In fact, if Lord Edward had had the opportunity to tone down the book, it would probably have reflected less accurately some awkward truths in this area, and might well have been less valuable by that fact. Lord Edward certainly makes fun of Egyptians, but his humour is just as much at the expense of expatriate British, both residents and visitors, and of many others. Humour is often cruel, and we tend to find cruel humour funny. So I think humour needs to be judged by its comic success, not by its accordance with our political or moral principles."- from the 2008 Introduction.
- Condition: New
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: HPB.com
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Lightning Source Inc
- ISBN-13: 9781843821991
- ISBN: 1843821990
- Publication Year: 2009