The Limits Of Cosmopolis: Ethics And Provinciality In The Dialogue Of Cultures
This book is concerned with cosmopolitanism - a privileged notion of world citizenship - and whether or not a cosmopolitan position is conducive to human flourishing when its preoccupation is aesthetic. The Limits of Cosmopolis addresses the question of how human life is organized: Is it possible to be a citizen of the world? Is there a difference between avowing that identity for oneself and morally and ethically making a commitment to others? What are the implications for communication - for a real dialogue of cultures? Because the identity claim to cosmopolitanism brings particular challenges to intercultural dialogue, the author argues that alternative routes to transnational human rights - to moral and ethical commitment and communication - are crucial. This book is interested in those alternative routes, in a more just organization of human life. It considers the ways in which a cosmopolitan identity may exacerbate intercultural conflicts rather than alleviating them as well as exploring its implications for intercultural interactions.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Peter Lang Pub Inc
- ISBN-13: 9781433121920
- ISBN: 1433121921
- Publication Year: 2014