The Royal Ordnance Factory At Hayes: The Story Of A World War Ii Gun And Tank Factory At Hayes In The London Borough Of Hillingdon
This is the fascinating story of a World War II tank and gun factory in west London. Using wartime documents, specially commissioned architectural photographs and - most importantly - the recollections of some of the factory's workers, the book aims to tell the little-known story of how ROF Hayes played its part in the war effort. The story of the home front has often been overshadowed by the story of great leaders and dramatic battles in histories of World War II, but this book aims to shed light on the important contribution of the Royal Ordnance Factories, and to show how the workers of ROF Hayes helped to win the Battle of Normandy in 1944 with the Sherman Firefly tank.After the war, ROF Hayes became a high security government records centre and so, most unusually, all the wartime buildings survived intact. Today, ROF Hayes has become ProLogis Park Heathrow, a major international freight and cargo hub, and an important local employer.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: David Brown Book Co
- ISBN-13: 9781901992885
- ISBN: 1901992888
- Publication Year: 2011