The Secret Capture: U 110 And The Enigma Story
Long after the war s end, official World War II records listed the German submarine U-110 as sunk on 9 May 1941 by a British convoy a deliberate deception that hid the actual capture of a submarine that contained a working Enigma machine, codebooks, charts, and ciphers. As the official British historian of the naval war, Stephen Roskill did not reveal the secret in his authorized account. When this book was first published in 1959, the author set the record straight about the sinking but continued to hold back details of Ultra. Now, a new introduction puts the capture of U-110 into context and makes clear its vital importance to the code-breaking program of the Allies in World War II. Roskill s work is based on both documentary and eyewitness evidence and provides the most authoritative history of how the Enigma machine became a key instrument of the war effort.
- Condition: Used - Fine/Like New
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: HPB Frisco
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Naval Inst Pr
- ISBN-13: 9781591148104
- ISBN: 1591148103
- Publication Year: 2011