There Was A Whole Collection Made: Photography From Lester And Betty Guttman
In 2014, the Smart Museum of Art at the University of Chicago received a generous gift from collectors Lester and Betty Guttman: 830 photographs, created by a total of 414 artists, that cover a time period stretching all the way from the early 1800s into our modern moment. This richly illustrated volume, which accompanies an exhibition at the Smart Museum of Art, offers both an intriguing overview of the collection and, with it, a tour through the very history of photography itself. There Was a Whole Collection Made includes an extensive timeline on the medium's evolution that notes important dates, exhibitions, and texts. Artists and scholars alike contribute personal reflections on and interpretations of the Guttmans photographs, which include images by such artists as William Henry Fox Talbot, Man Ray, L'szl Moholy-Nagy, and Carrie Mae Weems. A colorful introduction to a key visual resource, There Was a Whole Collection Made crosses time periods and genres to revel in the enduring power of the camera lens.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Univ of Chicago David & Alfred
- ISBN-13: 9780935573565
- ISBN: 0935573569
- Publication Year: 2016