Title To Territory In International Law: A Temporal Analysis
In seeking to foster preconditions for maintenance of order international law lays great emphasis on state sovereignty - guaranteeing states special protection against threats to their territorial integrity. However the demarcation of territory in most post-colonial states is extremely controversial since these physical dimensions were usually established during European colonial rule. The Roman doctrine of "uti possidetis" was called upon to add the thrust of legal sanctity and prevent challenge to boundaries bequeathed to the new ruler. By charting its progress through different temporal phases this book demonstrates that this doctrine evolved to suit political rather than legal tenets. The book is divided into seven chapters; the first two focusing on theoretical issues surrounding uti possidetis, examining its original development in Roman law. The next three chapters trace usage of the doctrine through Spanish decolonization, African colonisation and recent ICJ jurisprudence while the last two study modern manifestations of the effects of the doctrine in Yugoslavia and for indigenous peoples world-wide. A comprehensive and critical analysis of the Roman doctrine of uti possidetis, this book should prove an important resource for both students and scholars of international law.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Ashgate Pub Ltd
- ISBN-13: 9780754622246
- ISBN: 075462224X
- Publication Year: 2003