Togo: Music From West Africa
Rounder collected several examples of West Africa's diverse musical legacy and presented them on a 1978 anthology, which they reissued on CD in 1992. The 18-cut disc spotlights traditional Togolese music, although there's contemporary flavoring from such artists as Akofa Akoussah and Ali Bawa. The African oral tradition remains at the forefront, as these artists cover everything from children's tunes to a song about the 1974 plane crash that almost killed Togolese President Eyadema, plus recollections by the griot of Pagouda accompanying himself on a single-stringed instrument. There are also flute instrumentals with drum backing, a female chorus number and a pair of proverbial songs by Ayawa Aladji. The performances are mostly superb, and the sound quality and liners impressive. ~ Ron Wynn, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Rounder Select
- UPC: 011661500426